Wednesday, February 27, 2008

books become reality...

When I visit my nieces, who love to read...or should I say have me read to them...we always end up reading one book in particular. It is a Strawberry Shortcake, Berry Delicious Bake-off book. Angel cake has all her friends over and uses one ingredient from each friend to make the most "berry delicious" cake ever. I got to thinking after reading this book for the upteenth time, what if we tried this recipe to see if it was really as berry delicious as the book said. This turned into a wonderful afternoon activity of going to the grocery store with the book in hand, to make sure we got everything and then headed home for the "bake-off". We used mini angel food cupcakes instead of making and baking an actual cake....plus that way, everyone got their own. At lunch, all plates were clean, including the greens, since the bake off was next. I didn't think it was the berry best, but the girls loved it!! Another book that is fun to do this with is Dr. Seuss's, Green Eggs and Ham. If you aren't into cooking as much, I happen to love the Fancy Nancy series of books. I bring dress-ups and we have a "fancy" breakfast. All good reads, and a fun way to have the kids think you are "cooooool".... Ciao. Ciao.

No comments: